A night to forget: crew verbally abused; patient falls from roof; and a disappointing result


Friday 20th June 2014 – 7.00am – Murray MacGregor.

After the massive disappointment in the big game, it will certainly be a night to forget for on ambulance crew in Shropshire and a man who had been watching the match in Birmingham.

The Trust was called at 9.30pm to reports of a semi-conscious woman at the Duke of York pub in Market Street in the Oakengates area of Telford.

When the crew arrived to treat the woman, who was in her 20s, their way was blocked by another woman who refused to move and threatened to ‘rip their faces off’.

The crew pressed their emergency buttons and both police and a paramedic officer were dispatched to the scene.

The crew, concerned about the patient, had managed to get to the injured woman and started treating her.

Unfortunately, the woman who abused them quickly left the scene and the police were unable to find her.

The patient had fallen when the second Uruguay goal went in and after treatment at the scene was taken to Princess Royal Hospital.

Assistant Area Manager, Rob Marsh, said: “Whilst we understand people were upset at the result and had apparently had a drink, there is absolutely no excuse for behaviour of this sort

“The crew were there to help a woman in need of medical assistance. To be verbally abused in this way is absolutely abhorrent. I am sure no-one in the pub would condone such actions and I would appeal to those who were there to help identify the woman so that the police can take action against her.”

Listen here: Rob Marsh speaking to Eric Smith on BBC Radio Shropshire:

In a second incident, this time in Birmingham, a man who had been watching the football appears to have had a miraculous escape after falling off a pub car park in Birmingham.

The man was at the White Lion in Butlers Lane in the Four Oaks area of Sutton Coldfield at around 10.10pm when he fell around 8 feet. Witnesses said that he landed on his head.

An ambulance, a rapid response vehicle and a paramedic officer were sent to the scene. Despite the fall, the man was conscious though rather disorientated.

Amazingly he did not appear to be seriously injured and was taken to Good Hope Hospital for further assessment and treatment.

Across the West Midlands, there was a notable drop in demand during the game. The number of 999 calls then picked up with it remaining busy but steady through until about 3.00am on Friday morning.

Thanks to the planning and additional staffing, the Trust was able to manage the demand and provide a high level of service.



Leave a Reply