Six receive emergency treatment following RTC

Ambulance Bonnet

Tuesday 28th October 2014 – 8.30pm – Suzie Wheaton.

Six people received emergency medical treatment following a road traffic collision in Shropshire today.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to a serious collision on the A41 in Ashford, Market Drayton shortly after 4.20pm this afternoon.

Six ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, a paramedic area support officer and a rapid response vehicle from the Midlands Air Ambulance base in Cosford, carrying a trauma doctor and a critical care paramedic, were dispatched to the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “Crews were called to a serious road traffic collision between a car and a van. Six people were found to have been injured in the collision, which left the road blocked for a period of time.

“Three people from the car were treated at the scene. The two passengers from the vehicle had to be extricated, with the assistance of the fire service. The front seat passenger, a woman believed to be in her 40’s, was treated for multiple injuries. She was fully immobilised and given pain relief before being taken to University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

“The rear seat passenger, a teenage girl, was treated for back and chest injuries. She was also immobilised and given pain relief and taken to the same hospital under alert for further assessment and treatment.

“The driver of the car, a man believed to be in his 40’s, had sustained a back injury. He was immobilised and conveyed to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.

“The driver of the van, a man in his early 20’s, was treated for leg and potential pelvic injuries. He was fully immobilised and given pain relief at the scene before being conveyed to the major trauma centre of University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

“Two other men in their late teens, who were believed to have been travelling in the van at the time of the incident, were treated for neck injuries and chest and shoulder injuries. Again both of the casualties were fully immobilised, as a precaution, and conveyed to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for further assessment and treatment.”


Leave a Reply