As well as dealing with emergency calls, West Midlands Ambulance Service plays a key role in getting thousands of patients to and from their out-patient appointments and take people home from hospital. We complete approximately one million Non-emergency Patient Transport Service (NEPTS) journeys each year and currently hold contracts in Birmingham, Black Country, Coventry & Warwickshire and Worcestershire as well as throughout Cheshire and the Wirral.
As a NEPTS person you may work as part of a crew or on your own and will be responsible for taking patients, with varying mobility and medical conditions, to and from their pre-arranged appointments and back home again in a NEPTS vehicle; this could be a car, ambulance or another vehicle. As you would expect, some patients may need to be carried (including stairs), wheeled in a chair or a stretcher and escorted to and from the vehicle. The safe transportation of these patients is paramount to the role. This includes securing patients, wheelchairs, stretchers etc in the vehicles.
NEPTS staff are fully trained in basic first aid; manual handling; infection prevention and control; and driving with many staff receiving specialist bariatric training too.
NEPTS Person Entry Requirements
The entry requirements for those interested in applying to become a NEPTS person are:
- 3 GCSE’s grade C or above which must include English and Maths (or equivalent) or be willing to undertake a level 2 qualification whilst in post within the first 12 months of the role
- Experience of working within a public service/customer care environment
- Experience of driving a variety of vehicles
- Lifting and handling experience
- Full driving licence showing no more than 3 points
- Medical clearance DVLA Group 2 standards
If you meet the entry requirements for the role you will be shortlisted and invited to attend an assessment and interview. If you are successful at the assessment, you will be offered a job.
Want More Information?
Current vacancies can be found on NHS Jobs – click on the logo below:
Please contact our Recruitment Team if you need any more information
Tel: 01384 989452